Thursday, November 25, 2004

Saturday morning tradition

It has long been a Saturday morning tradition with me to go down the list of high school football scores in the morning paper to find the most interesting scores and matchups. For example, the Kenedy-Nixon game always takes me back to 1960. (I leave a little room for creative spelling.) And, of course, there is the Jim Ned vs. Bangs annual classic for just about as much excitement as a Friday night could ever produce. A couple of weeks ago, Troup H.S. administered a sound shellacking to Arp H.S. On October 1, Ben Bolt was put in his place by Charlotte in a date at Ben Bolt Field. But last week gave me my new all time favorite: Wortham 56, Dallas I Am That I Am 0. It's a charter school, either Jewish or Christian I would suppose. I have no idea what the I Am That I Am mascot is. So what do you suppose? The I Am That I Am Deities? But It should be singular since, by their reckoning, there is only One. Or maybe the Bulldogs? I would go with the Whirlwinds. But another question continues to nag: what unending fate awaits a group of high school boys who so totally dominates the football team of the Omnipotent? It just doesn't seem right They should ever lose.

No comments: